As suggested by your Fall Creek Crime Watch Committee.
Call 911 for any crime IN PROGRESS
Call Harris County Sheriff’s Office Non-Emergency Phone Number (713) 221-6000- Option 6 to report any suspicious activity.
Secure Your Car
- Lock cars & engage anti-theft alarm system -As long as criminals keep finding easy targets (unlocked cars}, they’ll keep coming back.
- Park in a locked garage or your driveway -Cars parked on street make easier targets.
- Hide valuables/garage door opener from sight or remove them from your car altogether – don’t leave valuables in car overnight.
- Consider wheel locks – Wheels/tires are typically stolen from larger vehicles (trucks & SUVs) that are parked in driveway due to size.
Secure Your Home
- Lock all doors and windows & engage home alarm system
- Add glass break sensors to detect entry through windows/doors without alarm sensors
- Coordinate a Distress Code with your alarm company-A Distress Code silences the alarm, but a call still goes out to law enforcement, with 911 priority
- Consider installing a Ring doorbell (ring.com) to monitor front door traffic from your phone
- Reinforce doors –
- Replace your 1″ screws with 3″ screws that go into the studs at the plate and hinges
- Invest in quality deadbolts or swap out deadbolt locks with key bolt
- Make it look like someone is always home
- Open windows blinds during the day (but close them at ni$ht)
- Use timers for indoor lighting -vary the on/off times in different rooms
- Record Serial Numbers
- Your items can’t be returned to you unless you’ve got a record of what you own.
- Take pictures, especially of Serial Numbers, and store on a thumb drive kept somewhere safe.
Landscaping & Lighting
- Pick up newspapers in yard and business cards/fliers from front door
- Consider how your landscaping can deter or help criminals.
- Cut large bushes/trees that provide unnoticed access to your home
- Keep bushes in front of windows trimmed below window pane
Thorny rose bushes in front of windows can deter a criminal
- Lock gates to backyard using pad locks (to prevent easy entry)
- Turn your porch lights and driveway lights on at night – use a timer to ensure lights are on even when you’re not at home or consider dusk to dawn sensor lighting
- Install motion activated flood lights in the rear and sides of the house to illuminate areas that normally have no lighting
- Clearly mark your street number on your home or curb so you can easily be located in case of an emergency
Be Aware & Know Your Neighbors
- As neighbors, we all have a vested interest in securing and maintaining our homes – IF YOU NOTICE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING!
- Be aware of suspicious people/cars in your neighborhood – anything you may not recognize
- Be aware of suspicious people/cars following you home -from bank, from shopping or commuting from work
- Establish and build those relationships with your neighbors-Swap phone numbers so you can contact each other if you see a problem
- Join Nextdoor – it is a great resource to help you stay informed regarding Crime & Safety within Fall Creek. You can sign-up for specific neighborhoods & also join groups specific to your interests and/or Fall Creek village. This is primarily where the CWC & Block Captains distribute information. (At a minimum, consider activating “Urgent Alerts” to receive an immediate text in the event there is a major incident within Fall Creek.)
General Home Safety
- Establish/communicate a fire escape plan for your family & ensure maintained fire extinguishers are readily available within the home
- Never leave extra keys in expected places -under the doormat and in the flowerpot next to the door are not smart hiding places
- Unload and lock away firearms, and any other weapons
- Keep medications and chemicals safely out of reach of children
- If you have a pool, keep it locked down or fenced in when not in use
Local Numbers & Resources
- HCSO Non-Emergency -(713) 221-6000 -Option 6
- Eastex Freeway Volunteer Fire Dept – (281) 847-3300
- Statewide Animal Control -Contact Paul at 713-417-7920
- Report Street Light outages -(713) 207-2222
- Be sure to capture the number on the pole before reporting
- Stay up to date with what’s going on in Fall Creek via www.fallcreeklife.com
- Utilize HCSO’s Vacation Watch Program when away for an extended time. Visit https://apps.harriscountyso.org/Programs/programs_VacationWatch.aspx or call (281) 446-9155 for more information.
If you would like to participate in the CWC or simply learn more about the Crime Watch Committee, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.